Article ID: 060213sab-4
Last Reviewed: July 7, 2023
See APPNOTE:Using a PM7000 Simulator with a PDA over a Bluetooth link for more information.
Step 1: Install the USB to Bluetooth adaptor.
1. Follow the instructions in the Windows XP Installation section of the Kensington Bluetooth USB adaptor Quick Start guide.
2. After installation an icon labeled My Bluetooth Places will appear on your desktop and this symbol will appear in the taskbar.
3. Follow the instructions in the Set up the Bluetooth Software section of the Kensington Bluetooth USB adaptor Quick Start guide but stop at the step marked Bluetooth Services Selection (section 5).
4. On the Bluetooth Services Selection step ensure that a checkmark appears next to Bluetooth serial port.
5. Remove the checkmark from any services you do not require, then click Next.
6. On the next page click Skip and then on the final page click Finish.
Step 2: Create an in-coming Bluetooth serial port on your computer.
1. Right click on the symbol on your Taskbar and select the item Bluetooth Setup Wizard from the menu, this opens the Bluetooth Setup Wizard.
2. On the Bluetooth Setup Wizard select the radio button marked “I want to configure the Bluetooth services that this computer will provide to remote devices” and click Next.
3. On the Bluetooth Services Selection page highlight the item Bluetooth Serial Port and click Configure.
4. On the Bluetooth Properties dialog on the General tab set the checkbox marked Startup Automatically and the checkbox marked Secure Communication.
5. On the Bluetooth Properties dialog on the Notifications tab set the checkbox Do not provide notification and click on OK.
6 Click Finish On the Bluetooth Services Selection page.
Step 3: Turn on Bluetooth Discovery on your computer.
1. Right click on the symbol on your Taskbar and select the item Advanced Configuration from the menu, this opens the Bluetooth Configuration dialog.
2. On the Bluetooth Configuration dialog select the Accessibility tab.
3. Set the check mark next to Let other Bluetooth devices discover this computer.
4. Click on OK to close the Bluetooth Configuration dialog.
Step 4: Setup and run the PM7000 Simulator on your computer.
On your computer, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the application PmStart.exe.
2. Work through the Introduction, clicking Next on each step and Finish on the last step.
3. After the introduction the PmStart Simulator setup utility is presented.
4. Select the simulator you want to run from the list at the top of the dialog. If the simulator is not in the list click on Browse and then specify the simulator to use.
5. In the section labeled Specify how the Simulator is to communicate with PmScreen.exe select Remote serial connection.
6. In the section labeled Which serial port is the simulator to use select the COM port added in step 2 above. If you are not sure which port was added, click on Search for Ports and select the port from the drop down list.
7. Finally click on Start the Simulator.
Step 5: Turn on Bluetooth on your PDA.
On the Start screen of your PDA click on the or symbol in the bottom right corner of the screen and then set the check box labelled Turn On Bluetooth and click on OK.
Step 6: Create a Partnership between your PDA with your computer.
1. On the Start screen of your PDA click on the symbol in the bottom right corner of the screen and select the tab Devices.
2. Click on the entry New Partnership… (this opens the Select a Bluetooth Device page).
3. The PDA now scans for available Bluetooth devices. When this is complete select the name of your computer from the list and click Next.
4. On the Enter Passkey page enter a pass key and click Next ( you may use something simple like “1234” if you are not concerned about security).
5. On your COMPUTER you will see the message Bluetooth PIN Code Required.
6. Click on the message, then on the Bluetooth PIN Code Request dialog enter the same passkey as you entered on your PDA then click OK.
7. On your COMPUTER there will be a message saying Bluetooth Authorisation Requested
8. Click on the message, this opens the Bluetooth Service Authorization dialog.
9. Set the check box Always Allow this device to access this service, then click on OK.
10. On your PDA, on the Partnership Settings page, put a check box next to the service Serial Port and click Finish.
11. Click OK on the Bluetooth page (on your PDA).
Step 7: Create an out-going Bluetooth serial port on your PDA.
1. On the Start screen of your PDA click on the symbol in the bottom right corner of the screen and select the tab COM Ports.
2. Select the item New Outgoing Port from the list (this will open the Add a Device page).
3. Select the name of your computer from the list and click Next.
4. Accept or change the Port number as you wish, set the checkbox marked Secure Connection and click on Finish.
5. Finally click OK in the top right on the Bluetooth page.
Step 8: Run PmScreen.exe on your PDA.
On your PDA, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the application PmScreen.exe.
2 On the Welcome screen, click on the Port menu and select Other Port.
3. Click on Search to scan your PDA for ports.
4. In the drop down list, select the port added above in Step 10. NOTE: there is a known unresolved issue that may prevent the Port from appearing in the search list. If this happens, type the port name in directly.
5. Click on OK.
Instructions for the next or subsequent time a Simulator is used with your PDA.
After the first time, many of the steps above are simplified or are not required.
The only steps required are:
Step 3: Turn on discovery on your computer.
Step 4: Setup and run the simulator on your computer.
Step 8: Run PmScreen.exe on your PDA.