Article ID: 060213sab-1
Last Reviewed: January 22, 2012
See APPNOTE:Connecting to a PM7000 with a PDA using a Bluetooth link for more information.
Step 1: Turn on Bluetooth on your PDA.
In the bottom right corner of the Start screen of your PDA click on the or symbol and select Turn Bluetooth On.
Step 2: Create a Device-Pairing between your PDA and your PM7000.
1. In the bottom right corner of the Start screen of your PDA click on the or symbol and select the item Bluetooth Manager from the menu.
2. On the Bluetooth page click on Tools and select the item Paired Devices. This opens the Bluetooth Paired devices page.
3. Click on Add. this opens the Bluetooth: Device Pairing page.
4. Click on the symbol. This opens the Bluetooth Browser. Wait while your PDA searches for available devices.
5. If your PM7000 does not appear in the list click on the symbol. This forces the PDA to scan for nearby Bluetooth devices.
6. Select your PM7000 from the list of Bluetooth devices. This then returns to the Device Pairing page.
(If device names are truncated and the serial number is not visible, click on View and select List).
7. Enter the PM7000 Passkey (the default is “1234“) then click on OK (in the top right hand corner).
8. Click OK on the Paired Devices page, then click X (in the top right corner) to close the Bluetooth Manager.
Step 3: Run PmScreen.exe on your PDA.
On your PDA, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the application PmScreen.exe
(This will appear directly under the Start menu or first time only under Start – Programs )
2 On the Welcome screen, click on the Port menu and select Other Port.
3. Click on Search to scan your PDA for ports.
4. In the drop down list, select the port marked COMxx: – Bluetooth serial port. Some PDA’s will have two entries for Bluetooth ports in which case the Outgoing port is usually the higher numbered. On some HP iPAQ PDA’s this is COM8.
5. Click on OK, this will open the Bluetooth Browser (on the PDA).
6. Select your PM7000 from the list of Bluetooth devices.
7. PmScreen should now connect to the PM7000.
Instructions for the next or subsequent time a PM7000 is used with your PDA.
After the first time, it is not necessary to repeat the Device Pairing step.
Precautions when using PmScreen with your PDA.
You should try and avoid turning off the PDA or moving out of range of the PM7000 while the Bluetooth connection is open otherwise PmScreen may stop responding and the PDA will requre a soft reset.
The following precautions are recommended:
1. Before turning off the PDA or when you have finished using PmScreen click on the File menu and select Exit (alternatively click on the Connect menu and and select Close Port). Try not to use the “X” in the top right corner as this only minimises PmScreen but does not close it. The bluetooth connection remains active for a few more seconds in the background.