Article ID: 061130sab-2
Last Reviewed: December 07, 2006
See APPNOTE:Connecting to a PM7000 with a PDA using a Bluetooth link for more information.
Step 1: Turn on Bluetooth on your PDA.
1. In the bottom right corner of the Start screen of your PDA click on the or symbol and select the tab Mode.
2. Set the check box labelled Turn On Bluetooth and click on OK.
Step 2: Create a Partnership between your PDA with your PM7000.
1. In the bottom right corner of the Start screen of your PDA click on the or symbol and select the tab Devices.
2. Click on the entry New Partnership… (this opens the Select a Bluetooth Device page).
3. The PDA now scans for available Bluetooth devices. When this is complete select the name of your PM7000 from the list and click Next.
4. On the Enter Passkey page enter the PM7000 pass key (the default is “1234“) and click Next .
5. On the Partnership Settings page, put a check box next to the service Serial Port and click Finish.
6. Click OK on the Bluetooth page (on your PDA).
Step 3: Create an out-going Bluetooth serial port on your PDA.
1. In the bottom right corner of the Start screen of your PDA click on the or symbol and select the tab COM Ports.
2. Check the list of existing ports, you cannot use a port that is already allocated to another PM7000.
3. Select the item New Outgoing Port from the list (this will open the Add a Device page).
4. Select the name of your PM7000 from the list and click Next.
5. Accept or change the Port number (avoiding those already allocated)
Make a note of the port number (you will need to know it later on)
Set the checkbox marked Secure Connection and click on Finish.
6. If you see the message:
The COM port could not be created.....
This usually due to the port already being allocated to another PM7000.
In this case click OK on the message and then click Back.
On the COM Ports tab tap and hold one of the other port allocations, and select Delete from the pop up menu.
Now go back to < 3. > above and retry.
5. Finally click OK in the top right on the Bluetooth page.
Step 4: Run PmScreen.exe on your PDA.
NOTE: there is a known unresolved issue that may prevent the Port from appearing in the search list.
On your PDA, follow the steps below:
1. Launch the application PmScreen.exe
2 On the Welcome screen, click on the Port menu and select Other Port.
3. Click on Search to scan your PDA for ports.
4. In the drop down list, select the port added above in Step 3. If it does not appear type the port name in directly.
5. Click on OK.
Instructions for the next or subsequent time a PM7000 is used with your PDA.
After the first time, the only setup required is Step 4: Run PmScreen.exe on your PDA.
Precautions when using PmScreen with your PDA.
You should try and avoid turning off the PDA or moving out of range of the PM7000 while the Bluetooth connection is open otherwise PmScreen will stop responding and the PDA will requre a soft reset.
The following precautions are recommended:
1) Before turning off the PDA or when you have finished using PmScreen click on the File menu and select Exit (alternatively click on the Connect menu and and select Close Port). Try not to use the “X” in the top right corner as this only minimises PmScreen but does not close it. The bluetooth connection will remain active for about 30 seconds in the background.
2) If clicking Exit wait for the Bluetooth icon on the start screen to change from in use to idle .